BMAB is focused on children from 0-8 (with focus on preschool years) who need books at home and at school. Our geographic reach is from Silicon Valley, across the Bay Area, Southern California, Florida, St. Louis Missouri and to Hong Kong.
We work through established and community-based partners to reach children who need books, and to have greater impact for the families and schools we serve.
Our Core Values
- Human Potential: We believe that all children, regardless of economic status, have the ability to reach their potential when provided access to quality learning opportunities.
- The Whole Child: We place the child first and focus our work on supporting language and emerging literacy skills as two key parts of the multi-faceted development of the whole child.
- Joy of Learning: We are passionate about education and literacy readiness for the children, communities, and stakeholders we serve and strive to create an enjoyable experience and environment for learning.
- Diversity: We respect and embrace each others’ differences and believe that diversity of thought, experience and culture informs and enhances our work.
- Integrity: We are committed to high ethical and professional standards in our work and relationships. Our stakeholders trust our word and ability to deliver programs in a conscientious and respectful way.
- Quality: We strive to deliver high-quality programs grounded in research, knowledge, data, teamwork and a culture of continuous improvement. The success of BMAB is dependent on the quality of the team members employed by the organization and our valuing their contributions.
BMAB has developed five programs designed to enhance pre-literacy skills and to prepare children for kindergarten:
- Book Give Aways for Home & School
- Bookcase Library
- First Teachers Parenting Workshops
- Take Home Book Program
- Book Buddies
- Professional Development and Coaching
All BMAB programs are research-based, and matched to site, program, state, and federal accountabilities.
Please visit affiliates and offices pages to see which of our programs are offered near you.
- Address early educational inequities by providing a complete library of quality books for preschools currently not meeting ECRS-R and DRDP literacy and reading compliance;
- Engage children with books and stories to which they would not have otherwise been exposed;
- Help children gain knowledge of phonemes in an interesting context, allowing them to enter kindergarten confident, enthusiastic, and ready to continue building literacy skills
- Increase the likelihood that preschool teachers will conduct read aloud story times
- Instruct teachers and parents about overcoming the unique challenges facing ESL students
- Provide opportunities for parents to improve their own English reading skills
- Introduce families to local libraries and helps them overcome reluctance or fear about using libraries;
- Build background knowledge and vocabulary to address a significant gap that exists for children living in poverty
Our regional offices and affiliates provide these innovative programs. Bring Me A Book headquarters focuses on delivering quality, age-appropriate, books to children, families and classrooms in need through external nonprofit networks, thereby reducing our overhead without reducing our ability to provide quality books.