Impromptu Book Clubs: Sharing the Joy of Books Kids Choose Themselves and Love Best
- Joan Lazar is The co-author of NOW I GET IT! Teaching Struggling Readers to Make Sense of What They Read (Scholastic 2010)
- The Founding Director of two highly effective literacy nonprofit organizations in Newark, New Jersey: Reading Naturally, a teacher and tutor training organization, and The Newark Literacy Campaign, a citywide reading tutorial service for people of all ages.
- A classroom teacher for 20+ years ages 1st Grade-Adult.
- A Literacy Coach in New Jersey public schools guiding classroom teachers to teach reading effectively.
- Joan Lazar has received Outstanding Nonprofit Leader award twice from The Prudential Foundation, as well as the Literacy Advocate of Newark award from the United Way of Essex County.