“One of the most significant factors influencing a child’s early educational success is an introduction to books and being read to at home prior to beginning school.
National Commission on Reading
DO YOU KNOW?
- Children who have not developed basic literacy skills by the time they enter school are three to four times more likely to drop out in later years.
- There is a ratio of one book for every 300 children in low-income neighborhoods compared to a ratio of 13:1 in middle-income neighborhoods.
- In San Mateo and Santa Clara counties, 43% and 41% of third graders are not meeting the state grade level standards for reading.
WHAT IS BRING ME A BOOK DOING ABOUT IT?
- We provide books to children, through partnerships, for home and preschool. Our partners make sure our books get into the hands of families and children who need them the most while supporting parents in using the books to help build their children’s literacy skills. Our partners have established, grassroots, proven programs in the communities we most want to reach. Examples include: Teen Success, Inc., Reading Bonanza in the Park, Book Buddies, New Teacher Center, Family Engagement Institute - Foothill Community College, Job Train, Kiwanis and Rotary Clubs.
- We select and purchase the best children’s books at the best prices. Bring Me A Book selects books from literacy experts’ lists of the finest books published and purchases them at deeply reduced pricing.
- We direct 100% of your financial support into the purchase of books and bookcases for children in San Mateo and Santa Clara counties to maximize your contribution toward solving the problem of access to books for low-income families.
- We engage volunteers in order to minimize administrative costs.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
Join us aboard the Reading Express by making a donation! Your donation, combined with the donations of others up to the amount of $20,000, will be matched by the Morgan Family Foundation.
Your help will keep us on-track and keep the BMAB Depot full of beautiful books and bookcases for children most in need of your generosity.
WE THINK WE CAN - but with your help, WE KNOW more children will learn to love books and learn to read.